Friday, October 13, 2006

Fall, Boogeymen and Fishnet Hose

Aaahh, October, month of cooler weather, beautiful leaves and of course, Halloween. I have another reason to love October now since Kaleigh's birthday is on the 15th.

Confession time - I've never really liked Halloween. Mainly b/c of the evil aspect of it, and the focus on scary and dark things. I used to like scary movies but I think since Kaleigh has been born, those don't appeal to me at all. When I had to wake up in the night with her, all I could think about was the boogeyman or the Scream guy. Even worse, when I wake up & don't hear Kaleigh, I start thinking about Elizabeth Smart or the Amber alert girl whose movie was on Lifetime. Or what was on the 6 o' clock evening news.

Growing up, I wasn't allowed to go trick or treating, and my parents (I love you!) didn't really want to spend much money on costumes for school or a fall festival that I might go to, so we would put together some kind of homemade costume. At least two years in a row I was a punk rocker. Since it was the 80's this consisted of a regular dress of mine paired with fishnet stockings and some kind of neon coloring in my hair. And I'm pretty sure one year my fishnet stockings had a big hole and I went to the church fall festival looking more like a prostitute than a punk rocker. I won't even talk about the time I dressed up as a boy...

No comments: