Wednesday, December 02, 2009

? Week Checkup -

I finally went to the doctor today. As they say, every pregnancy is different, and this one is definitely way different from the other two. Especially the twins, of course. With Kaleigh, I was busy working, moving (twice!) and getting ready for my first child. I was starting from scratch with baby stuff and of course I always knew what week I was in my pregnancy and how long I had left. I was fairly paranoid about what I did, ate or drank, etc.

Then, the twins. That was just a whole other ball game...

Now this one. I'm so laid back this time around. Probably a little too laid back. Once I got past the sickness & started feeling good, I got caught up in all the changes in our life and taking care of the three kids I have already. Mostly it's a huge blessing & an answer to prayer that I'm feeling good enough to not know exactly how far along I am and how long I have left. With the twins that's all I could think about. God had his hand in that whole pregnancy also, but it was a trial for us - to say the least. He took us through the fire and back again. This time around He is blessing me with a much easier time overall and good health and energy.

But I am so laid back that I missed one doctor appt and waited 4 more weeks to make another. So today I went back after over 2 months. Everything looked good, but something kinda funny did happen. I was getting weighed by the nurse and she kept moving the scale up, up & up. She said my weight and I said "yes, I'm finally gaining weight". She looked back at my records and said "Well, it looks like you've gained 27 pounds so far. We usually like to see our patients gain between 20 and 25 the whole pregnancy." Then she mentioned something about maybe watching it. I just sort of smiled & nodded, knowing that I'm not going to change anything. Mainly b/c she wasn't taking into account that I started out at least 10 pounds underweight. Also, after what I went through with the twins I developed almost a food phobia. I'm so glad to have my appetite back that I don't really care if I gain 50 extra pounds. Still, my belly is pretty big. I'm about 30 weeks along. It makes me wonder what I will look like at the end of the pregnancy! I'll post a belly picture soon.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

That is wonderful news Shelly. You just keep eating and enjoying yourself, you deserve it after having the twins. I'm so happy for you guys! Love the new house, floors look awesome!

The Proctors said...

After seeing you earlier this week, I think you look so great Shelly!! I agree with you and Melissa, enjoy this pregnancy! God has truly blessed you guys! We are so excited and can't wait to meet that sweet baby!

Lisa said...

You don't change one thing! You look fabulous and you seem to feel terrific! I love your attitude...keep it up...eat when you want/what you want and enjoy. Enjoyment wasn't really part of your last pregnancy...so take it all in!

The Haines said...

So glad things are going well with this pregnancy Shelly! I know you look just adorable pregnant! Your pregnancy is going by so fast- do you think so??

Ashley said...

20 pounds. PSH! Yeah, maybe if you start out about 50 pounds OVERweight! That's so ridiculous! I would be so happy if I "only" gained 35 this time! Guess what, "DOCTORS", you can't control how much weight you gain in pregnancy!!! Unless, of course, you DIET. As in, PREGOREXIA! Do they not realize that we are HUNGRY???? SERIOUSLY.

Sorry, i'm a little sensitive about this right now because that "nurse educator" lectured me about my 50 pounds. I gained 50 the first pregnancy and was determined not to gain as much the second time--even if it was 49. Guess what? 50! It's just my amount to gain. And I am NOT obsessed with food or an over-eater or someone who says "I'm eating for two, so I can have ...." Some people gain more, others gain less. Who friggin cares, as long as you can lose it afterwards!!!

Nitzia said...

my eyes and mouth were wide open as i was reading about the nurse saying you need to watch your weight now!! 25 lbs it's super great, in my dr's offce they always said 30 to 35 lbs.... wow i just can't believe your nurse is already saying something for gaining 25!!! crazy, please do not let her voice make you think twice of what you eat.... after what everyone shared here, i do agree with them all, ENJOY!!! there is nothing worse than not being able to enjoy your pregnancy and even more this time of the year!! take it all in my friend:) please, gain 25 more just in honor of that nurse and then after you have the baby you can join me in my runs!

Jill said...

You look great!!!! You definitely have a glow about you this pregnancy. I gained 40 lbs and it was fine. :)

The Cornelisons said...

I would have smacked her, you have such a sweet spirit ;) Here's to gaining as much as we want pregger friend!!!