Tuesday, July 26, 2011

 Stranded in Pottyland...

A two-year old is kind of like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it.
Jerry Seinfeld

 I was so excited that we reached a breakthrough in potty training last week with Alexis. Until then, she or Avery would only go after sitting for forever and me giving them tons of juice until they couldn't help themselves any longer. Well, you can imagine that technique just wasn't gonna work for us. But at some point last week I took everything off of Alexis and 10 minutes later she went in there all by herself and came out yelling "I went potty, I want a sucker!" Of course I had to give her one. And then she went about 20 more times that day and has been doing pretty good ever since. No pooping yet, but I'm just glad to have made the progress we have.

So of course since she's going, Emory and Avery want to go too. Emory does actually go sometimes, Avery rarely. But unlike Alexis, they will need to sit a while and I've learned that lots of damage can be done by three toddler/ preschoolers in the midst of potty training. In the past two days here are some of the things we've experienced;
  • twice I've walked in and two of them were in the bathroom pouring water all over the counter & on the floor... 
  • while I was in the bathroom with Avery, Emory walked out without a diaper after sitting but not going. A few minutes later she apparently peed all over the wood floor, walked through it, and fell in it.
  • Someone got hold of some random stinky diapers that were folded up. They put them in their toy basket. I found them today while I was picking up toys and smelled a very unpleasant odor.
  • Avery dropped Kaleigh's walkie talkie in the toilet. I was standing right there but wasn't fast enough to stop her. 
I'm sure there will be plenty more "fun" to come. But what can you do but laugh and be glad this stage doesn't last forever! And there are some real funny moments, like walking in Kaleigh's room and finding Avery sitting on her new IKEA potty like this -

Truly a queen on her "throne"

5 comments:

The Haines said...

hahaha! I love that last pic. Oh my, how I dread starting to potty train again.. can I send Jenna Claire to your house to learn with all your girls?? :)

The Cornelisons said...

I've had to reroll several rolls of toilet paper over the last month. And have found Griffin without a diaper several mornings. It's certainly an adventure.

The Nelson Family said...

Heehee. This is so fun to hear about. It won't be long and I'll be there too I suppose. Thanks for sharing your war stories - it's is an encouragement! The opening quote is great, too. :)

And I love your header picture! Love it!

Nitzia said...

the opening phrase is to funny and true! love it!! John William has been going a little more often to potty but no poop yet neither! we will see, at least he is going some.... I love the pic of Avery as well, super cute!! of course she will hate it when she is older, ha!

amy said...

LOL!! Oh the memories you all are making! The picture says it all!