Sunday, September 24, 2006

Our Vacation

Nathan took some much needed vacation time Thursday and Friday so Wednesday after work we packed up the camper and set off for Hot Springs. Kaleigh was also having a vacation, she got to stay with her Nana and Poppa. I'm so thankful they were able to keep her for a few days.
We stayed in a RV park really close to Central Ave and Thursday we did some shopping, ate lunch at McClard's BBQ (I think I'm still full from eating there!), Nathan did some fishing that evening at the campground. Then, we went to Books a Million & had coffee and read magazines and looked at books. I know, it sounds kinda boring, but for me it was just so wonderful not having to worry about anything. After we got back to the camper it had started storming and I was a little afraid of being in a tornado. I kept thinking if we died we really don't have anyone lined up to take Kaleigh. (I know, depressing, right?)

Friday - we slept in (yay!), went downtown and got some brochures & coupon books, and ate lunch. Then, our big event - we both got a bath and massage at the Buckstaff baths. It's still set up just like it was 50+ years ago. First I undressed and then wrapped up in a sheet. An attendant led me into a stall with a whirlpool tub filled with the Hot Springs water and I soaked for 20 minutes. Next was the sitz bath, then the steam room. My favorite part was next, when I got to lay on a cot wrapped in my sheet and they put hot towels under my back & neck, and then a cold towel around my head. It felt soooo nice. That lasted 20 minutes but I could have stayed longer. Then was the shower with 8 showerheads coming from all sides. Finally was the massage. It was all very relaxing.
I met Nathan afterward and we walked up & down the street looking in all the shops. That night we came back and ate at the Hot Springs Brau Haus, a German restaurant I had seen. It was really good. I had the shnitzel with vegetables & German potato salad and Nathan got Bratwurst & some other kind of sausage, a pork roast, and German potato salad and saurkraut. The bread was also wonderful.

We were thinking about going to Magic Springs on Saturday, but the weather wasn't looking good so we decided against that. Turned out to be a real good decision. Saturday night we ate out with my sister Kelly for her birthday and a bunch of her EEE pledge sisters from OBU. Kaleigh loved the attention she got from all the girls. We had a fun time.

2 comments:

The Nelson Family said...

Oooh! I love the baths there in Hot Springs! I took my sister to that very one for Christmas a couple of years ago. Glad it was so relaxing for you guys!

Anonymous said...

Well you all had a nice vacation didn't you? Sounded perfect. I was thinking about you and wanted to ask you in Awanas tonight. But, just a busy time. How in the world did you have enough energy to shop after a relaxing time like the spa? Just reading about it made me feel relaxed, in a trantz. (sp?) Glad you two were able to get away!