Wednesday, October 28, 2009

House Drama

Please read if you have the time!
I've got to write this post to vent, and I also want honest input.

We were able to close on our house Monday after a long wait (yay!) The situation was a short sale and a divorce situation. Everyone had already moved out but there was a lot of stuff still left in the house. After we got the house on Monday, we went over Monday night to start working. The first thing that had to be done was clearing the upstairs so John Paul kindly came over and helped Nathan cart stuff from the garage and almost every bedroom to the basement. They spend about 5 hours doing that and we cleaned up. We really didn't look through the stuff closely, but a lot of it was in good condition, there was some furniture that we could use, baby things, etc. Tons of clothes and other stuff that we just barely looked at and threw in trash bags and figured we could go through later and keep some, have a garage sale, and/or donate to a charity. In the meantime, it was all stacked neatly in the basement. I should mention that Claire (our real estate agent) had warned us to change the locks b/c of the situation. We were planning on doing this, but weren't able to on Monday.

So Tuesday we pull up to the house around 3:00 and see a Uhaul parked in front of it full of stuff. After looking closer, we discover that it is the stuff from the basement. We find out that the previous homeowner told this local charity that they could have the stuff and she came over and let them in the house. Now I was absolutely appalled. I am still mad when I think about it. Nathan was about ten times worse. They had almost loaded everything, including a lot of the furniture that we were going to use, and we told them we were sorry but that it was our stuff and it needed to go back in the house. We ended up letting them keep about 10 trash bags full of stuff. We donate to charities regularly but I like to get a tax deduction for it when we do. Also at this point we had no evidence that they were even from a charity. We also found out later that about $50 worth of our stuff had been taken as well. The whole time I am thinking to myself "what is the Christian thing to do here?" But still feeling very violated. We immediately pulled off all the doorknobs and took them to get the locks changed. In the meantime while I was gone, the previous homeowner showed up. Nathan talked to her and she claimed that she thought she had until Wednesday to get the stuff out, which I think was a lie. First of all - how do you not know when your house has gone from your possession? Secondly, everything had obviously been moved and cleaned. It was in nowhere near the condition it was left in.

Now we go to today. I had calmed down but I'm mad all over again. Nathan went to the charity which I won't mention at this point but may later and asked to get some things back that they had taken which actually belonged to his dad. They said that they didn't have them, the previous homeowner had those things. Then the lady who owns or runs the place starts into Nathan telling him how her guys spent all day working on this and it cost them money and he was greedy to take stuff back from a charity! Until that point we had been sympathetic to the charity knowing that it was an unfortunate situation, but not really our fault! Nathan listened to her rant then asked her how she would feel if she went home and saw two guys coming out of her house that she didn't allow in, loading stuff into a truck?! She didn't have much to say about that. She did say she was going to notify the papers about the whole thing. HA! I'm sure they'd get a twisted view of it too.

So I sincerely want to know what you think. What would you have done?

7 comments:

Jill said...

Yikes! Scary to have someone in the house...what if you had been in there by yourself with just the girls. Personally, anything that was not yours prior to the sell of the house, in the house, I would let the charity have....sounds like you might not want to mess with these people and welcome any kind of their drama into your life.

I hope it all works out, that is such a sticky situation. I might also look into getting an alarm system just to be on the safe side. I'm sorry Shelly! Don't let them take away the joy of God answering your prayers by providing a house in your time of need.

Lisa said...

I would heap coals on their head by being as kind as can be to them...not that it would be easy...bring the lady over a meal with a fabulous dessert!

Tracy said...

Trey using Tracy's name
That is a tough situation...What I would like to think I would have done was to ask the charity to unload everything back to where they got it. I would then tell them that the previous owner has no right to remove anything from this house without my permission and in effect what they are doing is breaking and entering. I would then tell them that once I go through "my" things that I will donate what is left to their charity.

Jennifer Jackson said...

I totally agree with Trey...that was technically your stuff. If the previous owner wasn't smart enough to get it out before the closing then it is her loss. She should have never "broke" into your house. If the charity and/or previous owner is going to get upset with you and cause you trouble then I would probably get the police involved. However, I would have to say that you might not make any friends doing this...therefore I would do it with respect for the chariety and donate anything you didn't want.

The thought of someone breaking into my home would just freak me out...I really hope this all works out for you!

amy said...

Gosh, this gets my blood boiling just reading it. I think what you all did was only what you could do. I am sure your mouth has fallen open in disbelief many times due to this incident. This is just another chapter to the story of getting your nice new house!

Jen said...

i would make sure that she didn't put a clause in the sale papers about being able to get her stuff until Wednesday, (which i am sure you have done) and not feel bad about taking back your things and the things that were SOLD with the house. If it was in the house at closing without the clause, it is now YOUR property and you have the right to do with it what you wish. I am so sorry that happened!

The Bunch Fam! said...

No, you don't want to know what I would have done. At the very least I would have called 911 as I pulled up to the house. Charity schmarity.