Monday, September 12, 2011

Family News

I mentioned in my last post that our family had a lot going on. My dad who is a pastor just got called to another church. They were here in AR, about 1 1/2 away and just last week moved to Louisiana, about 7 hours away :(. I'm happy for them b/c it seems to be a great place, but sad to have them so far. I didn't grow up near my grandparents and feel like I missed out on not getting to know them better. My parents reassure me that they will come back & visit often, probably every couple of months, but it won't be quite the same. We will adjust, though.

And my brother & sister in law just left their church in North Carolina b/c they feel called to start a new church in a suburb of New Orleans. What a huge undertaking but they feel like God is leading them to do this. I'm looking forward to seeing all that happens with it, my brother is amazingly informed about the role & function of churches and how to reach as many people as possible, so I think it will be a success.

I don't have any huge success stories to report with my kids, but I am reading lots of parenting books right now. Soon I will be the most knowledgeable parent around, or the most mixed-up, I'm not sure which ;). One of my goals right now is to stop the practice of threatening my kids. Either punish them or don't, but threatening is just pointless. Just this morning I caught myself telling Alexis "Come here right now or we're not going!" Okay, not only was that not helpful, it was obviously a lie. Bleh. Pay attention to yourself if you have kids, see if you do it to. :) I got that little tip from "Have a New Kid by Friday" by Kevin Leman.

I've been going through my pictures, organizing & ordering prints, and I found this blast from the past. Hard to believe...

No comments: