Monday, September 05, 2011

Terrible Two's Times Three - AAAaaahhh!!

These have not been the best days at our house lately. It is still fun at times, and we do laugh a lot at times, but over all it has definitely been hard. It's sad b/c there has been a lot going on but I feel that mostly we are in survival mode here. Emory's been okay, she's just a handful and demanding at times but mostly pretty sweet. It's the twins who are having some, shall I say, behavioral issues. They've had me in tears more than once.

The problem is major tantrums. Screaming, crying, anger over little things. Crying for something, then tossing it away, then asking for it again. Mostly I think the problem is twofold. (1) They are tired. They've stopped taking naps even though I can tell they are sooo tired and majorly need to sleep. Their behavior is so much better in the morning than any other time of day. But how to make a kid sleep? They are still in a crib so they can't get out. I leave them for two hours so I'm definitely giving it time. Not sure what else I can do. I've tried different times, earlier & later. Any tips? and (2) They need more attention than I can give and aren't good at sharing me. If I could just sit & hold them for longer I think they might get a little more secure and stop acting out. But at times that's just not possible.

What to do? I'm willing to try most anything! We've tried all kinds of punishments for tantrums. I've done spanking, time-out, sending them to their room, taking things away... Most of that doesn't work when they are in a full blown fit. I've read a little on positive parenting techniques which are anti-spanking and more attention to direct the kids on a more positive path. I don't feel that it would work for all kids but I'm willing to try it with mine. I do believe in spanking but I hate to do it, especially if it's not working! I'm re-reading Creative Corrections to try & come up with some other ideas too. Nathan's says it's not as bad as it seems, just that there are 3 of them throwing fits at different times! I hate to sound like I'm complaining, obviously we are so thankful & blessed. They can be the sweetest things, cuddly and loving, smart and funny.

Other than that, it's been fun & busy around here. I'll post more on that soon. Lots of changes in my extended family. 

3 comments:

The Haines said...

Jackson started not wanting naps about that age. The trick with him was to wear him out in the morning.. playdates, lots of outside time... whatever it takes! Still have to do that but he naps. I know it's so hard right now.. here too. I keep telling myself that in a blink they won't want my attention and I will miss it :)

The Cornelisons said...

Oh I do feel for you! I feel as though I have 2 of them in the terrible 2's since Gavin just mimics Griffin. When Greyson was bringing me to tears I read a book called "Have A New Kid By Friday". It involved quite a bit of redirecting and IGNORING. If you'd like some more material to read in your "spare" time I still have it.

Nitzia said...

so sorry Shelly! I can not imagine what you go through every day with three all at once, if just John William alone makes me suffer from time to time I can not imagine dealing with more than that!! You should really consider Mothers day out, this will sound weird but they might need a little break from you too, ha!... there are some places close to you and maybe little cheaper too. Hang in there, they do grow up fast :)